
The old brick building with distinctive Turkestan architecture, located opposite the Central Park (formerly Telman Park), is well known to Tashkent residents.
Many remember it as the
location of the Faculty of Industrial and Civil Construction of the Polytechnic
Institute.
The building was
constructed in 1909 by G. M. Svarichevsky’s design for the Technical Railway
School named after Heir Tsesarevich Alexei Nikolaevich.
After the revolution, it
housed a party workers’ school and several faculties of Turkestan
University—until the third floor was added to the current Westminster
University building.
During the war, an
evacuation center and hospital were set up in the building.
After the war, it hosted
a department for training construction personnel, and later—the construction
faculty of the Polytechnic Institute.
Currently, the building
houses the Banking and Finance Academy.

The Shoemakers’ Palace of Culture of Tashkent Production Shoe Association No. 1 was built in 1936 a...
In the mid-19th century, a wealthy Tatar entrepreneur named Sharafbay (Sharafiddin Bay) built a mos...

The Kukeldash Madrasah is located on a hill in Chorsu Square and looks majestic even despite its cl...

The beautiful building on the Square was constructed in 1895 by architect V. S. Heinzelman and was ...